"There were no formerly heroic times, and there was no formerly pure generation.  There is no one here but us chickens, and so it has always been:  a people busy and powerful, knowledgeable, ambivalent, important, fearful, and self-aware; a people who scheme, promote, deceive, and conquer; who pray for their loved ones, and long to flee misery and skip death.  It is a weakening and discoloring idea, that rustic people knew God personally once upon a time-or even knew selflessness or courage or literature-but that it is too late for us.  In fact, the absolute is available to everyone in every age.  There never was a more holy age than ours, and never a less.
---Annie Dillard, For the Time Being
Our current book club selection is The Wisdom of Yoga by Stephen Cope.  In '10 I read his first book, Yoga and the Quest for the True Self and loved it, so I am really excited to read this one.  I just cracked it open this morning and that quote was on the first page.  Don't you LOVE when you read something so eloquent that perfectly phrases a jumbled series of thoughts your brain has been chewing on for years.  Cannot wait to absorb this book!

Comments

C. Michele said…
Beautiful way to start a morning!
MountainWave said…
love Annie D :) I haven't read either book you mentioned. I'll keep them in mind for future~
Mama Gast said…
I can loan you the one I am reading now after book club meets. The other I borrowed from a friend.
Hilary said…
Annie Dillard is my all time FAVORITE. Pilgrim at Tinker Creek changed my life at 19, and it's STILL my favorite book of all time!!