My only Sunshine

We were awoken at 5 am by heavy panting. Bruce and I both jumped out of bed - Bruce jumped directly into a squishy something that turned out to be the entire contents of Sunshine's stomach. We turned on the light to see a distressing scene. Sunshine was trying to stand but could not, was holding her head at a wierd angle, panting heavily and generally freaking out. Bruce picked her up right away and moved her to a clean rug and I cuddled right up to her to try to soothe her. I stayed with her for the next two hours as Bruce called the vet and got the kids up and ready to take with us. She still could not walk or really even lift her head up so Bruce carried her to the car. We were at the vet's office by 7 and boy were we scared. I admit, I was terrified. I kept telling her over and over that she could pull through, that we weren't done yet, but I wasn't sure if it would work. Many tears were shed, many hugs and kisses and scratches were given - much energy exchanged.
So, the good news. The vet said that Sunshine had the doggie version of a mini-stroke. He checked her blood and said that actually she is in excellent health for a dog her age. He said that she was a 4 on a scale 1 - 10 (10 being the worst) of the severity of this stroke. He told us that there is a really great possibility that because of her great health otherwise, that she could make a full recovery in as little as two weeks. I cannot tell you what a huge relief this is. Truly, my spirit soars with the possibility.
Now we are home and the house is peaceful. Sunshine is nestled in a favorite blanket, with a depends on so she won't have to move for a while. She is soaking up the bright springtime sunshine in front of her favorite window. She has an antibiotic to take twice a day and we will hand feed her little bits of food and water until she can do it herself. She will be pampered and loved on to the extreme. Bruce will carry her outside when he is home until she starts walking again.
Please send us all your healing prayers and energy now, on the eve of her 13th birthday.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hang in there "old Lady" until we can come visit again and look into those beautiful brown eyes!!!!!

Sorry you had to go through this Christi. I cannot imagine how scared you were. It seems Sunshine is not ready to go though, not just yet. Snuggle on her a little more now, don't be so annoyed with her, and tell her how much you love her (although I think she already knows)!!!!

Thinking about all of you...

Love ya,
Gabriella
Christi Gast said…
Oh yeah. Although, I feel like I have made the most of everyday of her life. She has never been annoying or a burden to me, only a joy! She is one of the highlights of my life and I am lucky enough to get a little more.
4cheeseheads said…
Sunshine - we're so happy hear you are on the mend. We are sending you hugs and kisses, especially from little Casey.
Anonymous said…
We lit a candle after you called, said a prayer, and yes, I admit, shed a tear. We're happy to know Sunshine will be with us a little longer!! hugs from us, the moms

Popular posts from this blog

Griffin is 19.

Dr. Seuss Party, Part 1 Decor and Food

Watch out world, here she comes! Lucy is a very sweet 16 today.